Thursday, 16 February 2017

Merchant & Mills Camber Set Top #2

I completed my second M&M Camber Set using the overlocker at work (I work in a school with quite a well-resourced textile department). Having said that after working there for three years I only recently discovered the overlocker at the back of a store cupboard under a whole bunch of stuff. I read the manual and set about the onus task of threading it up! Lots of swear words later I got it running smoothly!


I messed up the first self-bias-bound neckline so much I had to cut it off, redraft a new section of bias and re-do. Luckily it worked on the second attempt after lots of ironing, pinning and basting.
I also had to cut the front as two sections as I didn't have quite enough fabric. I top-stitched the seam to make it a feature. This fabric is the last of my John Lewis Splodge viscose that I have made a Liesl & Co Everyday Skirt with.

The Camber Set is a well drafted pattern and I cut the same size as my previous version, but a combination of a different fabric and sewing some sections on the over-locker has resulted in a much more generous fit. Maybe I don't really need to grade from 8 to 10 at the bust to hip which I do on other patterns because the overall fit is quite roomy. I am not going to change anything yet as the drape of the viscose means it hangs nicely.

Here is the finished Merchant & Mills Camber Set top.

It looks very wonky but its just how it is hanging!






It works nicely tucked into trousers or skirts. Left loose I suspect it is a little too long and wide but I am going to wear it as is for now and make my decision after a few wears. A nice little wardrobe basic. UPDATE: Since washing a few times it has shrunk to a perfect fit. The joy of viscose!






This post is linked to Linda's Stash Busting Party at her Crafty Corner blog.

10 comments:

  1. It looks lovely, great fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lovely comfortable but stylish top! Gotta love a good viscose top :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Yes, viscose tops are the best!

      Delete
  3. That looks great! Love the fabric choose, looks comfortable to wear

    ReplyDelete
  4. A girl can never have too many totes. I have them hanging on door handles easy to pop stuff in and transport to other rooms. Love the top

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very useful top. You never know how a thing works until you have worn it a bit first. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point Jo, I have worn it for work twice already and it's fine tucked into skirts / trousers. I suspect it may stay as it is for now.

      Delete