Saturday, 4 February 2017

Mending; Love it or Loathe it?

I have always mended my own, family and friends clothes over the years. It is one of those jobs that seems to automatically gravitate towards you as a keen sewer. My usual mindset on this is I don't mind doing these little repair and alteration jobs but I would rather be making something shiny and new. I decided this morning that I should be more positive about mending and see it as a mindful and mediative activity.

Enter two jobs that have been hanging around for a while.

First up a work shirt with a missing button repair completed.


The second item was my Merchant and Mills Camber Set top that I made last year which ended up looking like this after the first wash.


As you can see the bias-bound neck frayed as I must have trimmed back the seams inside the neckband too zealously for the viscose to survive the washing machine. I didn't have any of the ikat-style print left so rather than unpick and re-insert another band I decided to trim back the fraying fabric and hand-stitch some black bias-binding around the neckline.

The original neckline bias can still be seen so I made sure the black bias-binding was an even distance all the way around to create a 'feature'! I really like the finished effect and glad I can put this top back into my wardrobe.

What do you think about repair jobs?
Do you love them or loathe them?

6 comments:

  1. Mostly find them tedious - but always feels good to get them done.. 🙂 ...like you much rather be making something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it felt great finishing these little jobs and they didn't take too long to do either!

      Delete
  2. Definitely prefer to make something new, but always worth the effort to get a favourite back into the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Tamsin. I got stuck into some new projects today - stash busting too!

      Delete
  3. Such a good feeling when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the mending! The camber top is lovely so must feel good to be able to wear it again. I have a few alteration jobs that have been waiting for attention for ages so guess I'm in the loathe it camp! Hoping I can find inspiration from your good work to get on with them tho :)

    ReplyDelete