This is the second pattern test I have completed (the first was the Dolores Pocket skirt last year) and I really enjoyed the experience. Dixie was a lovely person to work with sending out helpful e-mail suggestions whenever anything new cropped up.
The instructions for the most part were very clear (Dixie has since clarified a few steps) and the PDF was relatively small considering it is a dress. The aesthetics of the PDF were very appealing and had Dixie's trademark colours and clean lines like her blog.
Before embarking on the construction I made a few little sketches to get my creative juices flowing. I hunted in my stash for appropriate fabrics.
|Is it bad that I have this many possible options in my fabric stash? Please tell me I'm not alone here!|
|I love these Liberty print fabrics but I didn't quite have enough for the full gathered skirt of the Dixie Bonnell|
|Fantastic print on this fabric but it's a slippy rayon / polyester and I felt it might be a bit tricky to work with on this occasion|
|A lovely colourful cotton with a little bit of lycra. Perfect for the Bonnell!|
When I make my next Bonnell I am going to stick to a straight 2 all over as the waistband is too wide - It was only apparent when I had finished sewing it all together.
Instead of gathers (as per the instructions) I created a few equal pleats around the waistband. I also added about 8cm to the length of the skirt so it would hit my knee, as I think it would be a tad too short for my preference.
Here are a couple of photos of the dress during the construction stage:
|Bodice with the lining|
|Pinned and basted outer waistband|
|Pinning the lining waistband|
|The finished dress|
|The waistband is a little loose and I think the small lycra content of the fabric makes it drop slightly|
|Next time I need to move the zip higher to intersect with the finish of the back seams|
|Slightly wonky waistband application at the back right - Oops!!|
The changes I will make for my next Bonnell are as follows:
- Use 100% cotton for more structure
- Cut the same size throughout so the waistband will be a better fit
- Improve the insertion of the zip
Thanks to Dixie for giving me the opportunity to test her fab new pattern!