Monday, 28 March 2016

Cigarette Pants Success!

One of my main sewing ambitions this year was to learn how to make a successful pair of trousers. A friend has made several pairs of the Sew Over It Cigarette Pants and highly recommended the course taught by the lovely Julie Johnson.

I embarked upon the three week course at the end of February and made a wonderful pair of trousers using a beautifully textured navy blue and white linen that I bought from Sew Over It. I thoroughly enjoyed making these and was super excited to learn how to make a fly-front zip.

Here are a few visual highlights. I took my time matching the lines in the fabric - I managed it for the most part!






8 comments:

  1. It's my aim to make something like these this year - wish I could go to the course! They look great in herringbone, wish I could find something like that here too! Cute pocket bags and waistband ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really comfortable and I am happy with the process of making them. I just hope I can re-create them on my own without the help of the lovely Julie the tutor! I still need to trace my fit adjustments onto the paper pattern as I ended up taking them in quite a bit down the outer leg seams.

      Delete
  2. These look great! Very wearable and good fit. Congrats on the fly zip and love the detail of the contrast facing and pocket linings :) Do you think you'll be making more of these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I am super happy with them although because they are linen they ended up a little stretched at the end of the day. Something I can work on for my next version....

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, these are awesome. You clearly enjoyed your course. They look like a really comfy pair of trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, yes, they are super comfy and I want to make more pairs... it is just finding the time now!

      Delete
  4. Oooh they're beautiful! Was it hard to put the fly in? Where's the fabric from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo. Thank you. They are very comfortable. I bought the fabric from Sew Over It on the night of the first class as I didn't have any suitable trouser fabric in my stash.

      Delete