First up is a relaxed V neck top by Marilla Walker. It is view D from the Robert's Collection and I have been meaning to make this for a while now. I wanted to use a fabric with a nice drape, cue this M&S wrap skirt that I bought from Traid in Camden a few months ago. I bought it for the black geometric viscose which seemed ripe for a re-fashion.
I used French Seams throughout and sewed them down for a faux felled seam - I actually really liked the effect of this technique more on the inside than the 'right way'. Maybe next time I will use this technique on the outside as a feature?
| Cool V detail at the back! |
| I used a black cotton to face the neckline which has given it a nice bit of stability. |
| There is nothing nicer than a well-behaved facing |
When I finished this top I realised my friend Charlotte would love it and so this will be gifted to her tomorrow - I hope she likes it!
Next, a quick and easy re-fashion on a Top Shop dress that I bought in a second hand shop purely because it was 100% silk and it was a bargain at £6.00. It was however one size too small for me. Never fear, I knew I could chop it up into a top as the dress wouldn't fit over my hips. A simple rolled hem later and voila, a new silk top!
Done. Two Autumnal-looking tops ready for the next season.




What a clever pattern! The top turned out great, how nice of you to gift it to a friend :)
ReplyDeleteThe refashioned top looks great too, you're really clever with all your refashions!
Thanks Kat. The Robert's Collection It is a lovely little pattern. I would recommend.
Deleteboth are lovely. the Marilla pattern is on my to buy list for sure.
ReplyDeleteThanks Louise. I would go for it!
DeleteTwo great tops, well done to you. I really like the silk, such pretty fabric
ReplyDeleteThanks Rosemary - I love the pattern on the silk top too. It's quite unusual.
DeleteReally lovely makes! I love the fabrics.
ReplyDeleteThank you Let's Get Sewing!
DeleteBoth are beautiful, lucky friend getting a gift of a beautiful hand made top!
ReplyDeleteThanks Julie, my friend really loves her top which is a bonus!
DeleteA couple of lovely tops :) You picked a great fabric for showing off the v detail in the first top x
ReplyDeleteThanks Alex. Yes the fabric was a lovely print x
DeleteI love seeing refashions like this - the 'before' and 'after'! These are both great. I really fancy the Roberts Collection pattern - such good value too!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathryn. I have yet to make some of the dungarees / dress from this pattern but they look really comfy!
DeleteSuch a pretty collection, love the fabric. I too use french seams a lot just makes a garment look finished.
ReplyDeleteThank you Carolee. I love French Seaming garments it makes it feel a little bit more luxurious!
Delete