Tuesday, 18 July 2017

1980's Dress Re-Fashion

Two weeks ago I bought this bold 1980's dress from Fara charity shop in Islington for £2.00. It is a lovely printed viscose with a nice drape in a cheerful bold red with purple and white floral bouquets.

The fit of the dress was not quite right. The main issue was the too generous bust allowance and shoulder width (even taking into account the 1980's fashion for wider shoulders).


The bodice of the dress has large red buttons at the back opening until the waistline then an elasticated back-band with a zip too. The skirt has an interested gathered section at the front and the seams slightly taper towards the hem. It has a split in the back of the skirt for easier movement.

I decided pretty much straight away that I would cut the dress into two sections so I could have a skirt and a cropped top. I set about this task by ripping the overlocked stitches with my un-picker and removed the zip. I sewed the open seam left by the zip opening and hand-stitched a little rolled hem at the top of the waistband above the gathered elastic.

As for the top, I blind-stitched a hem all the way around, re-positioning the button bands a little higher. I tried the crop top on and the shoulders were still too wide so I put a row of gathering stitches in the ditch of the shoulder seam and secured to the neck facing on the inside.

Now I have two garments to wear from one ill fitting 1980's frock and you can see the skirt in action below. I will get some photos of the cropped top when I get a chance.



Have you re-fashioned any clothes recently?

If you are on Instagram there is a competition in conjunction with the British Heart Foundation to up-cycle garments you buy in their stores. It's called The Big Stitch details of which can be found here. You have until the 31st July to get your entires onto IG tagged with #thebigstitch.

7 comments:

  1. You always find the best pieces to refashion! What a great fabric! Rye skirt is beautiful and I bet it goes perfect with a lot of your clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I really enjoy the challenge of a good re-fashion, although this was easier than most I've tried.

      Delete
  2. Lovely fabric (I really do just love anything red!) A dress to skirt refashion is such a great quick project, this one looks good and like a really useful addition to your wardrobe. I'm looking forward to seeing the top too, I'm good at putting the top to one side and doing nothing with it so I'm waiting to be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skirt is so nice in this warm and humid weather Julie. I hope to get a photo with the top soon x

      Delete
  3. This skirt looks great. The red floral fabric is so pretty.
    I recently bought an M&S linen dress with a plan to do the same thing and turn it into a skirt and top. I put it on the other day and liked it just as it was so I am wearing the dress. I like my new dress but I can't enter the refashion challenge now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love it Rosemary. Well it saves you a re-fashion job! You can use the time for 'new' sewing instead!

      Delete
  4. Good remake. I have just reworked a dress of my own, I always like to revisit things if in the real world they don't work out.Jo x

    ReplyDelete