This is what I selected. A 2.5 metre piece of mustard knit fabric for practise / wearable toiles, 3/4 metre of a navy speckled sweatshirt jersey and 2 metres of red spotty cotton. I have since given away the red cotton, the mustard jersey is currently a work in progress with a 1960's / 1970's pattern just leaving the small piece of navy jersey.
I initially had in mind a Linden sweatshirt using the navy for the sleeves due to the limited amount. I had a stroke of inspiration after reading Zoe from So Zo's blog about quick re-fashions. I decided to make a pencil skirt using Colette's simple Mabel pattern.
Cue the pattern Jenga below to get the pieces to fit!
The Colette Mabel pattern instructions are very well written with clear set-by-step guides throughout. I used the overlocker at work to finish the seams and it came together really quickly.
Not bad for a quick make with a small piece of fabric from the stash!
I can see myself making another Mabel skirt as it was so comfy to wear. I have some Girl Charlee UK black sweatshirt fabric left over from SewBrum 2015 raffle winnings so it looks like it could be a great wardrobe staple.
Pattern: Colette Mabel bought on discount sale = £9
Fabric: 1 metre of navy sweatshirt jersey from fabric swap = free
Gutterman Thread: Navy from stash
Total: £9
This post is linked to #handmademonday organised by Julia of Sum of their Stories.




Nice and simple! Looks very comfortable
ReplyDeleteThanks Tamsin, you were there when I picked up these fabrics!
DeleteYes I was! I remember you saying that you probably didn't need the red polka dots! very interested to see the mustard work in progress.
DeleteGood work on the pattern jenga! Looks like a great wardrobe staple, easy to wear with lots of things plus super comfy thanks to the stretch, what's not to love! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, it is super comfy. I can see a few more Mabel's in my future!
DeleteYou've pit this piece of fabric to good use! The skirt fits you well and looks great, I especially like it with that shirt you're wearing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kat. I was glad to put it to good use at long last!
DeleteIt's great, what a lovely fit.
ReplyDeleteI thought I recognised that polka dot! I made a top which turned out ok, if a little bright and I've been embroidering on the rest, I have a cushion cover gift idea and just need to get it finished!
I love a bit of stash busting as you know so this one is right up my street. What a useful skirt with a little sparkle. Jo x
ReplyDelete