I was inspired to make my friend Charlotte a present for her flat when I saw her colourful bookcase. I also spotted this rather awesome mural on Carnaby Street which reminded me of patchwork. The two ideas merged into a fun stash-busting and selfless sewing project in the form of quilted patchwork cushions!
I had some charm packs of patchwork squares left over from when I made my friends Nik and Cheryl a purple and green
baby quilt and luckily the colours remaining were natural, orange, olive, coral and yellow which worked out perfectly.
I arranged the patchwork squares until I was happy with the composition then quickly sewed them together. It was at this point I realised I wanted to add an extra level of texture in the form of quilting. With good stash-busting karma I was very happy to have just enough quilting wadding left for the two cushions!
On one cushion I quilted a series of L shaped lines creating a cross effect on the front of the cushion whereas on the second I free-quilted parallel lines.
I am pretty happy with both cushions and I hope that my friend enjoys her present. I really enjoyed the time spent making these gifts and I think they will be very comfy additions to Charlotte's sofa!
Cool, I love a bit of stashbusting, so good for the soul (and purse) Jo x
ReplyDeleteThanks Jo. Yes stash-busting is definitely good for the soul, especially when you are gifting the make as well. A double-whammy of good feelings all round!
DeleteThese look great, hope your friend is very happy with them! I'm curious what colour thread you used for the quilting?
ReplyDeleteHi Alex. Thanks I chose a golden yellow thread as it's Charlotte favourite colour.
DeleteLove stash builders and could use up all your 'bits' for this idea
ReplyDeleteYes it was a great little stash-busting project!
DeleteGood stash busting karma was with you as you were making an awesome gift for a friend! I love the quilting detail you added. Lucky Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteThanks Julie. Luckily Charlotte really loves them! Good karma all round x
DeleteGreat destashing, and what a lovely present to receive:)
ReplyDeleteThank you Vicky. I had lots of fun making them so it really was a lovely project and de-stashed some hoards of fabric and quilting wadding too!
Delete