The first metre of fabric is a fabulous 1950's style print. The base colour is a dark blush rose with highlights of black, navy and burnt orange.
The second fabric is an awesome print of a famous Andy Warhol Campbell's soup can print which has been in my stash since Sophie's previous visit in the summer of 2015.
With a metre of each fabulous fabric I turned to my favourite simple top - the Grainline Scout Woven tee.
I know exactly how to make these now without referring to the instructions. I needed to interline the garment with some white cotton batiste which I got from Fabric World on Goldhawk Road for £3.50 a metre. I used just under a metre for each top - so in theory these Scout tees only cost me £1.75 each discounting the gifted fabric, time and thread to make them! Bonus.
In terms of construction, they were French Seamed throughout. Self-bias tape on the neckline. Simple rolled hems on the sleeves and main body. I lengthened the sleeves by about 40cm on the 50's print version and by 20cm on the Campbell's print version. I really love them both and look forward to wearing them in the spring.
A big thanks to Sophie who had such a good eye for these fabulous prints in the first place!
Pattern: Grainline Scout Woven Tee = Free (used so many times now)
Shell Fabric: Two metres of Cotton Lawn gifted by Sophie = Free
Lining Fabric: Two metres of Batiste from Goldhawk Road = £3.50
Gutterman Thread: White and pink from stash
Total for two tees: £3.50
These are fabulous, your friend has a great eye for pattern.
ReplyDeleteThanks Louise - yes, Sophie is a keen crafter herself she sews and knits.
DeleteWhat wonderful gifts! I think the scout tee is a great choice of pattern to let these fabrics shine :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Alex. Yes the Scout tee is a perfect simple top for fab prints like these.
DeleteThose prints really do look fabulous! And you made two beautiful shirts from tge fabrics! I'm thinking more and more that I should give this pattern a try!
ReplyDeleteHi Kat. The Scout tee is a great wardrobe staple!
DeleteGreat work Cazza! Love the blog post and the two Scout's!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sophie. I couldn't have made these without your generous and thoughtful gifts!
Delete