I was even happier when I realised the 'Charlie Dress' was a new release from the awesome girls at By Hand London.
![]() |
| Favourite Top Shop RTW from the 2000's |
I decided the Charlie Dress should be made from a patterned gem from the 50% off Liberty Sale purchase in January called Curly Whirly. I started construction of the princess seamed bodice with great enthusiasm and even traced the pattern. I know, get me!
Unfortunately, as sometimes these things go, I didn't get a chance to sew the whole bodice together in one session and it sat in the UFO pile for a quite a while. The next time I had the inclination or energy to continue I realised my notches were not that easy to see and ended up sewing the individual bodice sections together wrong about 4 times.
I finally sewed the bodice together and measured out the quarter circle skirt using the By Hand London circle skirt calculator on their website. I finished the hem with some blue bias-binding I had in my stash.
The bodice had to be adjusted quite a bit to fit me and I am not 100% happy with the princess seam curves - more work needed here if I make another one. I will also probably move the straps further apart to be more in line with a regular bra strap position. I think I will also add some cute patch pockets too as in-seam pockets are not possible due to the quarter circle skirt construction.
Over all I am pretty happy with the dress. I am yet to see whether it will get much wear as the weather is still not quite warm enough for a cotton summer dress.
I will keep you posted if the sun comes out!
Pattern: By Hand London Charlie Dress = Free in Simply Sewing magazine over two volumes = £10
Fabric: Two metres of Liberty Tana Lawn 50% off online sale = £22.00
Gutterman Thread: Blue from stash
Total = £32.00


cute! I've been thinking about adding circle skirts (or fractions of circle skirts) onto lots of my bodices lately.
ReplyDeleteThanks. This is the first 1/4 circle skirt I have made for myself. Might make another one now!
DeleteGosh this is mightily cute! Love it. Great print too, 50% off bargain! I think little patch pockets would really work, or welt pockets?
ReplyDeleteThanks Louise. Just hoping for a nice bit of sun to wear it!
DeleteThat is a gorgeous fabric! And a gorgeous dress! I haven't seen a single dress made from. this pattern as to yet, and I'm really curious how it looks in you, so I'm hoping the weather gets better soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kat. Yes I hope to get some photos with me wearing it soon X
DeleteLooks great Caroline and I really like the fabric. One of my favourite things about sewing is that I can add pockets to my dresses and skirts so totally understand you wanting to do that :)
ReplyDeleteYes. I need some pockets with this dress for extra practicality factor (and they will look cool too!).
DeleteYes. I need some pockets with this dress for extra practicality factor (and they will look cool too!).
Delete