Dixie DIY recently brought out her new dress the
Bonnell. In April she asked for volunteers to pattern test the dress before launching it to the public. I was very happy to have been selected to test this lovely dress. If you haven't already seen the Bonnell it is a fitted bodice with cut-out detailing at the sides. It has a lined bodice with a softly gathered skirt with pockets.
This is the second pattern test I have completed (the first was the
Dolores Pocket skirt last year) and I really enjoyed the experience. Dixie was a lovely person to work with sending out helpful e-mail suggestions whenever anything new cropped up.
The instructions for the most part were very clear (Dixie has since clarified a few steps) and the PDF was relatively small considering it is a dress. The aesthetics of the PDF were very appealing and had Dixie's trademark colours and clean lines like her blog.
Before embarking on the construction I made a few little sketches to get my creative juices flowing. I hunted in my stash for appropriate fabrics.
 |
| Is it bad that I have this many possible options in my fabric stash? Please tell me I'm not alone here! |
I wanted it to be a wearable muslim as it has a lovely fully lined bodice with cut-out features that would make it a pretty summer dress.
 |
| I love these Liberty print fabrics but I didn't quite have enough for the full gathered skirt of the Dixie Bonnell |
 |
| Fantastic print on this fabric but it's a slippy rayon / polyester and I felt it might be a bit tricky to work with on this occasion |
 |
| A lovely colourful cotton with a little bit of lycra. Perfect for the Bonnell! |
Onto the construction of the dress. Judging by the sizing information I needed to grade from a 2 bust to a 4 at the waist and hips which I graded straight on the pattern before cutting into my fabric.
When I make my next Bonnell I am going to stick to a straight 2 all over as the waistband is too wide - It was only apparent when I had finished sewing it all together.
Instead of gathers (as per the instructions) I created a few equal pleats around the waistband. I also added about 8cm to the length of the skirt so it would hit my knee, as I think it would be a tad too short for my preference.
Here are a couple of photos of the dress during the construction stage:
 |
| Bodice with the lining |
 |
| Pinned and basted outer waistband |
 |
| Pinning the lining waistband |
 |
| The finished dress |
 |
| The waistband is a little loose and I think the small lycra content of the fabric makes it drop slightly |
 |
| Next time I need to move the zip higher to intersect with the finish of the back seams |
 |
| Slightly wonky waistband application at the back right - Oops!! |
Overall I really enjoyed the challenge of sewing a new dress and following the instructions of a new pattern. I am certain this dress will be a very popular addition to any sewers wardrobe and you can always add net / lace / contrast fabrics to the 'cut-out' section if you are a bit shy about revealing any side-flesh!
The changes I will make for my next Bonnell are as follows:
- Use 100% cotton for more structure
- Cut the same size throughout so the waistband will be a better fit
- Improve the insertion of the zip
Thanks to Dixie for giving me the opportunity to test her fab new pattern!
looks lovely - I like the fabric, it makes your eyes go funny!
ReplyDeleteI agree about it making your eyes go funny - That's my excuse for messing up the zip insertion!
DeleteLooks lovely, hope you do get some wear out of it. Lovely colours in the fabric, but I can't look at it too long on the screen!
ReplyDeleteYes it is a bit crazy. I wore it to work and a colleague had to walk away because it was making his eyes zing. Maybe not a good dress for work? More like an evening at the pub!
DeleteI'm really impressed with your drawings! They look great! I'm such a drawing noob ;) Haha! And yes I also have a great assortment of fabrics and I often cannot decide which one to take. Sometimes the process takes days ;) I think you have chosen the perfect fabric for the dress and I really like it on you, great job! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Katharina x
DeleteI enjoyed doing the drawings and the process of testing this pattern - it was fun. Your dress is so cool because of the bold directional print! Maybe I should make my next one in an African wax-print?!
Hi Caroline! That dress is lovely the pattern is really on trend with the cut-outs and the fabric looks great, I'm new to sewing so I've been sticking to straight-forward dress and skirt patterns I'd love you to come visit at http://rosesandpetticoats.blogspot.co.uk :) xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Helen. Yes the cut outs are a lovely feature of the dress. I must improve the finish of them on my next Bonnell dress x
Delete