This may be a strange thing to blog about (and before I go any further, NO I am not sponsored by John Lewis - I wish) but
John Lewis the famous British department store is celebrating 150 years over the next month. I only know this because I spotted this article in last week's Grazia magazine (don't judge me, a girl needs some vices!)
 |
| Grazia magazine's John Lewis 150 years article |
The reason I was drawn to the article was the news about a line of collections celebrating John Lewis' work with many famous designers - namely one of my all time favourite textile designers,
Lucienne Day. I love her work soooo much,here are some examples of her prints:
 |
| Lucienne Day prints ranging from 1950 - 1960 |
I drooled over the simple 1950's style pattern in the new John Lewis collection and thought it bore a striking resemblance to my
Tilly and the Button's Mathilde blouse I made last year (
blogged about here)
 |
| My Tilly & the Buttons Mathilde blouse from last last summer - an uncanny resemblance in my fabric choice!! |
 |
| CJ Made vs Lucienne Day at John Lewis |
I investigated further because I wanted to look at the whole collection to see what items of clothing they had and look at any alternative colour-ways.
Here is what they are offering in the John Lewis-Lucienne Day 150 Year celebration collection:

It's at this point of the research I started thinking; wow, that's quite expensive, and I bet I could make one of those.....
As it happens yes, I CAN (and you can too) because they have also brought out these lovely prints as cotton fabric so you can buy as much metrage / colourway / design you want and make what-ever you fancy! I popped down to the John Lewis store on Oxford Street to investigate further.
 |
| On my way up to Haberdashery on the 4th floor |
 |
| The window displays for John Lewis were gorgeous! |
Right at the entrance of the haberdashery department was a fabulous Lucienne Day display with a 1950's style dress with lots of beautiful prints and colour-ways!
 |
| Lots of Lucienne Day prints.......mmmmmm...delicious |
 |
| Agghhhh, I like them all! |
The cost for a metre is £22.00, so they are pitching at the same price as a Liberty Print (i.e. expensive). The shop assistant says they will only be in stock for a limited time, so if you really like the look of these juicy designs you had better hot-foot it down to your nearest John Lewis store!
I am going to save up for a metre or two of some of the designs, although I keep changing my mind which one I like the best.....
Do you like 1950's prints?
Which design would you buy?
I love Lucienne Day too, and admire these every time I go into JL (one of very few good reasons to go to Westfield Stratford). I might just have to crack soon. I like the brown diamond-y print near the bottom of your last photo especially. I just wish they were more like a lawn or viscose type with more drape.
ReplyDeleteYes Katie - I love that print too although I think I'd like it in the blue. I know what you mean about the drape - its relatively stiff cotton, so maybe need to think about a structured garment to take advantage?
DeleteI think I might crack soon but I will need to wait until my next pay-day ; )
Nice to meet you on Saturday. I didn't know they were only available for a limited time. Ooh pressure, I'll have to get them soon. I'm a big fan of Lucienne Day too and went to an amazing exhibition on Robin and Lucienne Day at the PM gallery in Ealing a few years ago. I've posted about the fabric range too and have picked out a few favourites. http://pootleandmake.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/lucienne-day-dress-fabric/
ReplyDelete