I realised during Me-Made-May that I wear seperates a lot! They are more versatile for my day-job and I enjoy mixing things up with different combinations too.
I do like a nice dress though and in April, as the realisation of MMM loomed closer I figured that I did need to mix things up a bit. Enter Simplicity 9620 in black and white plaid.
This was not a conscious choice of pattern but happened to be a UFO that had sat in my stash pile for about seven years! It had moved house in this unfinished state two times - can you believe that!?
Anyway, back to the pattern.
It is a very easy make. A simple cut on fold for both the front and back (you heard it! NO fastenings) with bust darts and back darts with facings for the neckline and armholes.
The main body of the dress had already been sewn together (seven years ago) so the only thing that I needed to finish on the plaid shift was the facings and hem. I had the neck-facings already cut out but only one armhole facing; and with no extra plaid fabric I had to free-style the finish on the armholes with a rolled hem (machined on the first roll, then hand-stitched on the second).
It didn't take me very long to finish this little cutie and made me wonder why it was abandoned in the first place. The only issue I have with my finished garment is the placing of the plaid. I obviously was not as detail focussed when I originally cut this shift out seven years ago; if I had the chance to re-do it I would make sure the prominent white line in the plaid was centralised in the middle of the dress. I would also aim to match the side seams better too.
At least it shows with extra practise and the help of fellow bloggers like Andrea, Katie, Tilly, Winnie and Jen I have improved my eye for detail and my knowledge of garment sewing. Yeah!