Top: Grainline Scout Tee. Fabric: 100% cotton. Made: 2014
Brooch: Tatty Devine anchor
Watch: G Shock
A throwback to 2014 with one of my original Scout Tee's that is making it's way to the charity shop. The reason? It is a little too tight around the armscye and the shop-bought scratchy and stiff bias-binding I used for the neckline never softened up.
Jumpsuit: New Look 6446. Fabric: H&M tablecloth. Made: 2018
Necklace: Tatty Devine Oranges (2016 sample sale)
It is early days in terms of how much wear this jumpsuit will get but I had a lot of fun wearing it last Thursday.
The final collage of all the me-made-makes for 2018.
The most worn, but not photographed item of clothing is my Gather Buchanan dressing gown which I wear every morning and evening.
This year my pledge was to wear ALL my me-made clothing and figure out why some items get worn more than others. Quite a lot of clothes didn't get worn because it was seasonally inappropriate but overall I seem to be making a reasonably co-ordinated wardrobe.
Due to my lack of an Instagram account, I have not really had the same experience as previous years where you get a wonderful community feeling from lots of participants in MMM.
What I have enjoyed is having a smaller and more insightful journey with the blogging sewing community and the lovely bloggers below;
Zoe (So Zo) the mastermind of MMM
Shauni (A Magnificant Thread)
and some new discoveries like Lisa's Carolina
I have more me-made clothes than I realised and didn't get to wear them all in one month which I'm not sure is good or bad?
- I have a lot of Grainline Scout tees, Camber Set-tops and a few colourful shirts
- Lots of skirts; mainly pencil skirts like the Charlotte skirt or Simplicity 2154 and the Dolores Pocket skirt
- Quite a few dresses in different patterns such as the Emery Dress, Camber Set Dress or Alex Shirt Dress
- One jumpsuit! New Look 6446
- I LOVE pattern and print; I am not surprised as I studied Textile Design at Art College
- I like black and white tops as they are so versatile
- I am also happy with the colour, textures and better quality fabric choices
Areas for Improvement
- Sew more neutral or solid coloured garments. I only wore four me-made items that didn't have a print (Olive Grainline sweater, blue SOI Tulip skirt, grey Marilla Walker Ilsley skirt and a red Simplicity 2154)
- I say this EVERY year. MAKE ANOTHER PAIR OF TROUSERS. I am in the middle of tweaking the SOI Cigarette Pants pattern in a navy crepe so I will keep you posted!
- Keep tweaking the fit of my repeat makes. I have passed on a few of my first Grainline Scout tees to the charity shop as they don't fit well enough for my liking any more
A big thank you to Zoe for organising this fantastic event and I look forward to taking part again next year with the following things achieved.......
Caroline's Challenge for MMM 2019
- Focus on some non-printed pieces in solid colours
- Make another pair of trousers
- Sew another Gather Buchanan dressing gown
- How about some lounge-wear (jogging pants for around the house and secret PJ's)
- Make some Liberty print PJ's
- Use more of my stash fabric