Monday, 29 May 2017

Paul Frank Buchanan Dressing Gown


The Buchanan dressing gown has been a long time in the making. I was gifted the Gather Buchanan pattern for Christmas 2015 by my sewing enabling friend, Sophie!
The Paul Frank fabric I bought in 2011 and it has been sat in my stash patiently waiting for me to get my act together to make PJ's and a dressing gown!

I cut the whole thing out last July and it has been in my UFO pile for almost a year. I got busy this weekend and enjoyed the process in three bursts of productivity.

This is an excellent pattern. Good quality paper and very clear illustrated instructions, it was a pleasure to make! The order of making has you sew all the fiddly bits like the pockets, belt, belt-loops and hanging-loop before the major construction.

Alterations I made to the instructions was to use French Seams throughout for a neater finish and add 6cm to the length. The only thing that boggled my mind a bit was the belt-loops - how could I add them with a French Seam?

I added the belt-loop with a 0.5cm seam allowance and then continued with the second seam on the inside using a 1cm seam. It worked out perfectly!






Hand-finishing the loose end on the hem-band.




Overall, I am really impressed with this pattern and I can see myself making some of these as presents for friends and family. Hopefully it won't take me as long to make another one!

Check out lots of other cool crafty blogs at #handmademonday organised by Julia of Sum of their Stories.

16 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! It's funny I've been thinking about this pattern recently for some liberty fabric I have. You've made me even more tempted now. I love how neat it all looks with the French seams too, and I like the sound of doing all the fiddly bits first too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go for it Kathryn - it would look gorgeous in a Liberty print!

      Delete
  2. What a cute dressing gown! I love the fabric, especially in combination with the red contrasting fabric. The pattern looks great too, I would love to try it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. It is a very satisfying make!

      Delete
  3. This is amazing! Love your fabric and the dressing gown looks wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This fabric is such good fun and the red contrast really sets it off. The way you attached the belt loops is ingenious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very smart. i love the monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so much fun! The red touch is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep fabric from 2011 is pretty impressive, I love how this turned out so worth the wait!
    Funny, I did french seams on the bag I shared this week, I love that neat finish to an unlined thing.
    i need a new dressing gown and it hadn't occurred to me to make one, I guess I could probably take my tatty old one apart and make a pattern if I was feeling brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea Julie - it would certainly motivate you to finish your new hand-made dressing gown if you cut up your old one for a pattern!!

      Delete
  8. This is fab. And, I am looking for a dressing gown pattern ready for summer. Liberty lawn here I come. 😊 Going to use your belt loop ideas. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! It's a great pattern. I have already got two more cut out ready for gifts for some dear friends of mine. Luckily the fit of the pattern is very forgiving so I'm pretty certain they will fit perfectly!

      Delete