Tuesday, 23 May 2017

By Hand London Charlotte Skirt


I have had this stylish By Hand London Charlotte pencil skirt cut out for a couple of months and managed to finish it this week just in time for some warm weather. It could be considered quite an old indie pattern by today's standards and there are some fab versions out there. My favourites are:

This red wool Charlotte skirt by Lauren from Lladybird:


Oona Baloona's amazing floral Charlotte skirt:


And finally Elisalex from By Hand London's amazing tropical Charlotte skirt with back split:


The fabric was a gift from my friend Sophie who lives in Hong Kong. She has an amazing eye for fabric and I wouldn't necessarily have picked this colourful printed barkcloth myself, but I am so glad I paired it with the classic shape of the Charlotte pencil skirt.

I have made a few pencil skirts before here and here with the Simplicity 2154 retro pattern. The construction of the BHL Charlotte was pretty similar so it was a pretty speedy sew.

With only one metre of fabric I had to be careful with pattern placement. I had to cut a second waistband as the first one was way too short (not sure if that was my error or not) so I lengthened the waistband slightly so there was more overlap for a press-stud. I also had to take a little in at the hip area but other than that it is a very good fit.

I finished the seams on the inside with bias binding because the barkcloth frayed really easily. I also hand-stitched the waistband and the hem. I added two press-studs to secure the waistband into place.

The only slight niggle I have with the skirt is my not-so-invisible zip insertion. I am borrowing a sewing machine whilst I decide what to do with mine and it doesn't have an invisible zip foot, so it's a little more noticeable than my usual efforts! I can always re-do it when I get my old machine working (or get a new machine.....).

Overall, I am really happy with this skirt and it certainly added a little colour to what has been a pretty grey week so far here in the UK.










Pattern: By Hand London Charlotte Skirt Pattern = £9.00
Fabric: 1 metre of barkcloth from my friend Sophie in Hong Kong = free
Gutterman Thread: White from stash = free
Invisible Zip: White = £1.00
Bias Binding: Assorted coloured bias binding from stash = free
Press-studs: from my Grandma's stash = free

Total: £10.00

Check out lots of other cool crafty blogs at #handmademonday organised by Julia of Sum of their Stories.

15 comments:

  1. What gorgeous fabric! I love the look of the finish with the bias binding, especially round the zip. I never get a near finish round the zip. Your skirt looks like a great fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn. I wore it to work today and lots of people loved the fabric too!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic fabric - skirt great too.
    What's up with your machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 25 year old Bernina and the belt drive has been slipping for a couple of months now and I can't rely on the machine to get through any amount of bulk (even just over a double hem). Ironically it has been totally fine for 23 years until I got it serviced last summer and it just hasn't been the same since. Unfortunately, the place I went to for a service has now gone out of business!!

      Delete
  3. I'm so impressed with your neat inside finishes! Looks great! The fabric is beautiful and works perfectly with the pattern. I think I might need a pencil skirt too. A really bright one! Don't worry about the zipper, it is not invisible but very even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I don't really notice the zipper when I'm wearing it anyway!

      Delete
  4. What lovely fabric. You have made a beautiful skirt with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely fabric! And a great skirt to show it off. I'm pretty sure the 'non invisible' zip wouldn't be noticeable except on a close inspection and if you point it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I really like the fabric too!

      Delete
  6. Swoon, this is gorgeous. Love how you have finished the insides, so smart. Perfect skirt. never-mind the zip, no one will notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! Yes, I took a lot of care on the insides too!!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful fabric! Beautiful skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for your comment Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooo, Caroline, this is gorgeous. I love an item that is almost as pretty inside as out! I have to say with the busy busy of the pattern the zip barely notices - honestly.
    I didn't realise till just now but I think a bright floral pencil skirt is missing from my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete