Saturday, 29 April 2017

Marimekko Jenny Haynes River Quilt Top


After attending the Improvisation Quilting workshop with Jenny Haynes at the Village Haberdashery I had such a lovely time I booked myself on another workshop. This was a more advanced quilting workshop based on a technique called the drunkards path. Here is a great video from LoveBug Studios that explains how to sew this style of quilters block.


Jenny Haynes has made some beautiful quilts using the Drunkards Path technique; the Sunflowers quilt and the new River Quilt.

Jenny Haynes Sunflower Quilt (Image Source)
Jenny Haynes River Quilt (Image Source)

To make the full River Quilt you need 1.5 metres of three different fabrics. I already had all three fabrics I wanted to use already in my stash (although not quite enough so I had to buy a metre more of each colour).

The colour scheme of the guest bedroom where this quilt will eventually live is grey, white with highlights of yellow. I have already made some bold Marimekko cushions in the Rasymatto and Unikko prints you can see below.


The first part of the workshop was spent cutting out the sections of the Drunkards Path blocks. Jenny provides the acrylic templates and to make things easier I cut everything out using a rotary cutter. Then onto sewing the curved blocks, ironing and then cutting down to size using the square templates provided. 





When I got back home I laid out the quilt blocks so I could get an idea of how the final quilt will look. As well as the three main fabrics; Grey Essex Linen, Marimekko Rasymatto Cotton and Black Kona Cotton I used a number of scraps of spotty black and white fabric from the stash. There is also an addition of Yellow Kona cotton to continue the punctuation of yellow found in the Marimekko fabric. 




The gaps in the quilt above are left for the Marimekko fabric which I had ordered but unfortunately it didn't turn up in time for the workshop. I have also added a black spotted cotton in some of the sections of the black area of the design but I am still undecided if I will add this in the final quilt top.

What do you think fellow sewists?

I'm looking forward to sewing this together and then the long task of quilting. I think I will do a combination of machine and hand-quilting to add a range of textures.

Check out lots of other cool crafty blogs at #handmademonday organised by Julia of Sum of their Stories.


20 comments:

  1. Oh wow it's looking brilliant!! I love those fabrics and colours together. All these workshops you've been doing sound so good that I'm considering doing one myself now. There's a paper piecing one with Jenny Haynes at village haberdashery in June that I'm very tempted by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn, I'd definitely recommend the workshops at Village Haberdashery. Jenny is a lovely person and a very enthusiastic teacher. I'd go for it!
      Thank you for your lovely comments too!

      Delete
  2. Wow, it looks gorgeous! I love the colour combination :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Marimekko fabrics, your quilt fabric choice is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire - I've seen lots of your Marimekko projects too!

      Delete
  4. it is so modern adn looks fantastic! love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the name :) It looks great so far, looking forward to seeing how it progresses x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, I think this will take some time to come together but I'm happy to take it slow and enjoy the process.

      Delete
  6. Looks great! I really really like these colours together. This will turn out great, I'm sure. I'm undecided on the dotted fabric, I'm sure it will turn out great either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat, I don't think I'm going to use the black spotty fabric after all. I think it might spoil the lines of the central 'river' pattern.

      Delete
  7. This is so modern looking. Its going to be fabulous. Think it may take a while though looks like a big project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think this is going to be a long project!

      Delete
  8. I always love black and white and this is beautiful. love the cushion covers too

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is brilliant, never have the patience for a peiee this large

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline, I am taking it slowly - I aim to get it finished by the end of the year?!

      Delete
  10. This is going to be amazing when you are finished. Is it difficult to sew the curves? Are you learning a special technique in the workshops to make that so neat and smooth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Its the same method as in the video - it just takes a bit of practise to get it nice and smooth.

      Delete