Sunday, 2 April 2017

Camber Set Top #3


My sewing friend Sophie currently lives in Hong Kong and she sends me lovely little packages of beautiful fabric for birthday and Christmas presents. Previous garments I've made from Sophie's amazing fabric choices can be found here and here.


I received this cool white cotton seersucker with a black grid pattern for my birthday last year and have waited a while to use it. After sewing a couple of successful Merchant and Mills Camber Set tops (here and here) I felt it would work really well with this fabric.

I happily cut out all the pattern pieces and decided to be really careful with pattern matching and cut all pieces flat (rather than folded over) to ensure the grid pattern matched. Unfortunately, I totally forgot to reverse the sleeve pattern when cutting the second sleeve out and ended up with two left sleeves. Ooops!


The only remaining scrap of fabric left forced me to be creative with pattern placement. I managed to eek out the sleeve on the bias. With no remaining fabric left I had to just go with the idea of a 'design feature' sleeve with one cut on the grainline and the second on the bias!


When I finished the top the odd sleeves didn't turn out quite the way I envisioned. It is partly because the pattern matching on the grainline sleeve doesn't match with the gridlines of the body of the top due to limited fabric amounts. BUT, after a little internet research of ready-to-wear black and white grid tops I felt a LOT better about my own version. Here is a little selection of not-so-perfect commercial pattern matching (or non-matching).


Here is the final top. I didn't make any changes to the pattern from my previous versions but I am planning to cut it a little shorter than my usual hem-line for a cropped top similar to the image fourth from left. I haven't hemmed it yet until I make a final decision on how cropped it should be.





To co-ordinate with this top, I am going to make another Colette Mabel pencil skirt in the last remaining Girl Charlee UK fabric win from SewBrum 2015 in a black terry sweat fabric. My idea is to hack the waistband to create a high-waisted version of the pencil skirt. I will keep you posted about that when I make it!

Have any of your makes had to change mid-way through due to sewing / cutting  / human error?

I am pretty happy how this version of the M&M Camber Set top turned out in the end. What do you think?

Pattern: Merchant and Mills Camber Set Pattern = Original price £13 but as it is 4th make = £3.50
Fabric: 1 metre of Japanese seersucker = free
Gutterman Thread: White = free

Total: £3.50

11 comments:

  1. This looks awesome!!! Should be super cool for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie - even with the 'design-feature' odd sleeves!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great top for summer. Definitely go with the sleeves as a design feature :) I've had to add in side vents at the hips of a couple of tops after trying on and realising they were too tight. I'd already sewn a French seam on one so that took a bit of unpicking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I'm hoping it looks intentional!

      Delete
  3. I often end up with cutting mistakes, especially when I try to really take care with pattern matching, hehe. Your bias sleeve isn't that noticeable and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole outfit, I think it will look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I hope it looks OK when I get the whole outfit together.

      Delete
  4. oh this is lovely! isn't it funny how much more critical we are of our own makes than things we buy ready-to-wear?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathryn - We need to be kinder to ourselves about mistakes?!

      Delete
  5. Only you know about the sleeve so just keep moving I say! I think it is crisp and cool. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Jo. If I'm moving fast enough, nobody will notice anyway!

      Delete
  6. Only you know about the sleeve so just keep moving I say! I think it is crisp and cool. X

    ReplyDelete