Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Merchant & Mills Camber Set Spotty Dress


After making two successful Merchant and Mills Camber Set tops (here and here) I decided to try out the dress version. I knew the dress would need a decent drape so I dug out this lovely pink and dark brown / black spotty viscose that has been lurking in my stash since I bought it at Guthrie and Ghani in 2015. I had two metres which was plenty big enough for the dress and leaves me enough for a little top.

Despite having made two previous versions of the top I still had to double check the construction details for the back yoke. I haven't quite got it right as every version has come out slightly different. I also added pockets which is a must with a simple shift dress like this. I love pockets!

Everything was going well until I sewed the final sleeve into place. I must have caught a pin with the sewing machine needle because the fabric started to pucker and rip as you can see in the photos below!


Oh dear. It looks like a mess but its not too noticeable from a distance. I immediately replaced the needle and finished the final seam under a little black cloud of disappointment. Luckily, I am not too precious about things to let it bother me too much as the dress is for work and I routinely get covered in paint / glue / spray / ink as an art and technology teacher anyway!

I lengthened the dress by about 6cm so it sits just below the knee. I wore it today with a belt and I think it looked OK. What do you think?

 


Pattern: Merchant and Mills Camber Set Pattern = Original price £13 but as it is 2nd make = £7
Fabric: 1.5 metres of viscose from Guthrie and Ghani = £15
Gutterman Thread: Black from stash

Total: £22

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, lovely fabric. Shame about the snagging but you can't see it when you are wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Luckily the snags are mostly on the back of the dress so i don't notice them at all!!

      Delete
  2. I think this dress is a keeper! It drapes so nicely when you wearing it! I also like the colours a lot and I don't thing the snags are noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. You really don't notice the snags unless you really get up close!

      Delete
  3. This dress looks very comfy and easy to wear, especially with the pockets! :) a shame about the snagging, but I'm sure you'd have to be looking really hard to notice it, so glad it is not going to stop your enjoyment of this dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex- we both love adding pockets to skirts / dresses don't we!!!

      Delete
    2. It's one of the reasons I wanted to be able to make my own clothes! :)

      Delete
  4. Your dress looks great! Smart but comfy and such lovely fabric too!

    ReplyDelete