Saturday, 25 March 2017

Marvellous Mabel


Last June I attended a fabric swap arranged by Kristy from Scientific Sewing where I swapped three bags of fabric and patterns for only three pieces of fabric in an attempt to destash.

This is what I selected. A 2.5 metre piece of mustard knit fabric for practise / wearable toiles, 3/4 metre of a navy speckled sweatshirt jersey and 2 metres of red spotty cotton. I have since given away the red cotton, the mustard jersey is currently a work in progress with a 1960's / 1970's pattern just leaving the small piece of navy jersey.


I initially had in mind a Linden sweatshirt using the navy for the sleeves due to the limited amount. I had a stroke of inspiration after reading Zoe from So Zo's blog about quick re-fashions. I decided to make a pencil skirt using Colette's simple Mabel pattern.


Cue the pattern Jenga below to get the pieces to fit!


The Colette Mabel pattern instructions are very well written with clear set-by-step guides throughout. I used the overlocker at work to finish the seams and it came together really quickly.


Not bad for a quick make with a small piece of fabric from the stash!

I can see myself making another Mabel skirt as it was so comfy to wear. I have some Girl Charlee UK black sweatshirt fabric left over from SewBrum 2015 raffle winnings so it looks like it could be a great wardrobe staple.

Pattern: Colette Mabel bought on discount sale = £9
Fabric: 1 metre of navy sweatshirt jersey from fabric swap = free
Gutterman Thread: Navy from stash

Total: £9


This post is linked to #handmademonday organised by Julia of Sum of their Stories.

9 comments:

  1. Nice and simple! Looks very comfortable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, you were there when I picked up these fabrics!

      Delete
    2. Yes I was! I remember you saying that you probably didn't need the red polka dots! very interested to see the mustard work in progress.

      Delete
  2. Good work on the pattern jenga! Looks like a great wardrobe staple, easy to wear with lots of things plus super comfy thanks to the stretch, what's not to love! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is super comfy. I can see a few more Mabel's in my future!

      Delete
  3. You've pit this piece of fabric to good use! The skirt fits you well and looks great, I especially like it with that shirt you're wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I was glad to put it to good use at long last!

      Delete
  4. It's great, what a lovely fit.
    I thought I recognised that polka dot! I made a top which turned out ok, if a little bright and I've been embroidering on the rest, I have a cushion cover gift idea and just need to get it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a bit of stash busting as you know so this one is right up my street. What a useful skirt with a little sparkle. Jo x

    ReplyDelete