Top Five of 2016
My most worn me-made garments this year have been a fairly predictable bunch due to their simple structure. My devotion to Grainline patterns has not wained with three of the five 'hits' attributed to Jen's awesome clean pattern styles.
Left to right:
Merchant and Mills Camber Set in Samuel Taylors Viscose. Yes, I know it looks suspiciously like a Grainline Scout Tee! Read about the details of the make here. The top has some lovely little details that I'd like to replicate in 2017. Unfortunately I was rather over zealous clipping the neckline and in subsequent washes the bias bound neck has unravelled. It is currently sat on my 'to-do' pile waiting to be mended.
Grainline Linden in Liberty Knit. This was my second version of the Linden sweatshirt. Details of the construction are here. My inexperience with knit fabric meant that the sleeves are a little snug as the width-way stretch is limited on the Liberty knit (even more so since I have washed it). Despite the snug sleeves I love this top!
Grainline Linden in Olive Girl Charlee UK Knit. This was my first ever successful knit garment using the fabric I won at Sew Brum in 2015. I am super happy with it as it is super comfy and fits really well. Construction details here.
Grainline Scout Woven Tee in 1950's style Cotton Voile. My friend Sophie gifted me this beautiful Chinese fabric when she stayed with me over Easter 2016. Nothing much else to say about the construction of the tee but if you are interested read about it here.
Dolores Pocket Skirt in 1970s Vintage Cotton. Not only did I stash bust with a much-loved vintage 1970's cotton for the outer, it is also lined with a beautiful olive green silk left over from my Art college days in the 1990's! I spent a lot of time over the finish of this skirt with lots of hand-stitching and attention to detail. Construction details here.
Not really 'Misses' but clothes that are 'Not Quite Right....Yet'
It is not a reflection on the By Hand London girls that two of my 'Not Quite Right.... Yet' choices are their patterns. I love both of the above dresses but need to tweak them before I feel comfortable wearing them.
Left to right:
By Hand London Charlie Dress in Liberty. I absolutely love the style of this summer dress as it reminds me of my favourite Top Dress circa 2000. I did a terrible job of fitting the dress bodice and I need to unpick the whole thing to fix it which I have no energy for right now. I am putting it on the 'to-do' pile until I get some inspiration about how to adjust it (I have enough left-over liberty fabric to re-cut another bodice if it came down to it). Construction post here.
By Hand London Flora Dress in Viscose. This is the first 'party-dress' that I have made since getting back into sewing (I used to make a whole bunch of clubbing outfits back in my 20's). Again I spent a lot of time finishing seams, bias-binding the hem and lining the bodice. The fit is not quite right on the bodice but not so much as it would be a major issue, see more photos here. I just haven't been anywhere this year that requires this type of more 'dressy' garment. Note to self: have an event in mind when making time-intensive clothing!!
Self-Drafted Circle Skirt in Polyester. I whipped this up one afternoon with some Goldhawk Road fabric that had been in my stash for ages, see the full story here. I re-used an elastic waistband from a previous make but despite hand-stitching the hem I just didn't wear it! Off to the charity shop it went!!