Sunday, 21 August 2016

Summer Sketchbook

I have really been into painting and sketching recently and I decided to make a scrapbook to document my holiday this summer.

Sketching by the pool
I spent a week with my friend Mel in Mountain View, San Francisco which was awesome! Rather than just relying on holiday photographs I took time out every day for sketching, painting and collaging my holiday experiences.  Art equipment I packed for the trip were sketching pencils, Windsor and Newton watercolours, Chromacolour watercolour pencils, a few black pro-markers, scissors, a glue-stick, acrylic paint markers and a range of brushes.

Sketching on Mel's sofa
It was the most relaxing and enjoyable time and I pretty much sketched / painted everywhere starting out in the airport lounge and on the flight over to the USA.  The most indulgent was next to the pool, on the sofa at Mel's house and finally on a train ride to my next holiday destination in Wales last week.

Things I included in my journal were maps, leaflets, tickets and receipts of my adventures alongside traditional sketches and watercolour studies plein air of food, city scenes and landscapes.  I chose an A5 Seawhite concertina sketchbook which comes with a rather cool hardboard case. It is not quite finished yet but here are a few little snippets for you to enjoy.

Painting on the train to Wales last week
The many cool California signs found around Mountain View
Sushi and Santana Row a beautiful palm tree lined shopping street
Mushroom and leek omelette home cooking, film night on the sofa and the lovely Steven's Creek Trail walk
Ice lolly pool inflatable and the amazing graffiti of Clarion Alley in the Mission, San Francisco
Mel standing in front of a Frank Stella painting at the SF MoMA
Dusk at Pier 39 and Pier 23 neon sign from Fisherman's Wharf, San Fransisco
The concertina sketchbook laid out next to the pool before my return to the UK
I am enjoying putting the finishing touches to my journal and hope to finish it before my return to work in September. I also want to include my mini break to Wales in the remaining pages of the book.

What have you been doing this summer to relax and unwind?

12 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! I did not do a single sketch on our last holiday and I really wish I had as I normally do a few doodles (although nothing quite so accomplished as these). A great reminder and souvenir of a wonderful time! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilla, yes I really enjoyed sketching the different things I did on holiday!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea and lovely reminder of your holiday! Did you take photos to sketch from or is it from memory? Makes me think I should make more time to gat back into drawing and painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, the sketches are a combination of painting from real life (landscapes / views) and memory (films / meals / art gallery) and from photographs (signs / graffiti). I used to do holiday scrap-booking a lot as a kid in the 1980's so it was fun to complete this to remember my holiday memories by.

      Delete
  3. That is a great idea! I don't like taking quick shots because I don't want to miss a real moment. But doing paintings if everything I bet makes xou very aware of the situation which is great! Also all of your paintings look great, so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I had a lot of fun creating this sketchbook. Still a few things to do before it's completely finished though x

      Delete
  4. This is such a brilliant idea, and your drawings and collages are so beautiful! I used to do a scrapbook of all the gigs, concerts, exhibitions, holidays etc I did each year but I haven't done it in years. I wish I could draw or paint to do one like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn - I used to keep scrap books of all my gigs tickets and other fun stuff too!

      Delete
  5. I use seawhite sketchbooks.. Is the concertina book of a similar paperweight/quality to their normal books?
    Love your holiday diary/sketches/artwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, yes it's the concertina book is a similar weight to regular Seawhite sketchbooks.

      Delete
  6. Amazing artwork, such a great way of doing it.

    ReplyDelete