Tuesday, 2 August 2016

Me-Made Rejects #2

I try to regularly edit my wardrobe. I have noticed the more confident I have become at sewing the easier it is to pass on any home-made garments to the charity shop. My first few hand-made garments, despite their imperfections were saved from the charity shop bag on several occasions for sentimental reasons.

As I am getting better at fitting clothes for my body shape I feel happy to pass on my hand-made garments for somebody else to enjoy or at the very least get re-cycled. Also, having a blog means I have an electronic record of my achievements / learnings / disasters which makes the process much easier.

Here are the hand-made garments that hit the Cancer Research Charity shop last week:




Free-style Circle Skirt

Previously un-blogged on account of the fact I never wore it. I made it in a splurge of industrious sewing in April 2016 before this years Me-Made-May. I pretty much just free-styled the cutting of the circle skirt by folding the fabric down the centre and re-folding from the corner and cut out a circle. I then guestimated the waist-line cut too and attached to an elastic waistband.

The elastic waistband was re-claimed from a circle skirt I made in 2007 for a school pantomime performance and the fabric was a stash-bust polyester affair I bought from Goldhawk Road. The remainder of the fabric (about 1.2 metres) made it to the fabric swap on the 4th June and was picked up by Tamsin from Pimp my Curtains so watch that space for another make from this abstract fabric.

Hand-sewing the full-circle hem was a nightmare, even though I left it for two days to drop. It's a bit wonky in places! Hopefully somebody will find it and have a bit of fun wearing it this summer.



Black & White Scout Tee

As you know I LOVE the Grainline Scout Woven Tee but this version was made without really thinking about the weight of the cotton I was using. I think when you first start making your own clothes some of the most obvious things (like comfort) get over-looked when we fall hard for an amazing printed fabric. I adore this abstract monochrome print but as mentioned earlier it is much too stiff (even after lots of washes) and restrictive as a comfortable top. I had to say adieu.


Matisse Dolores Pocket Skirt

This was lovingly made as part of my art-work for a course at the Tate Modern during the Matisse: Cutting into Colour exhibition. I was inspired by his bold lines, architectural shapes and colour. I wore this on the final evening of the course when we had a group exhibition showcasing our art-work inspired by Matisse. 

You can read more about the construction here. The pattern was machine appliquéd with hand embroidered elements to pick out delicate details. It was such fun to make but I have not worn it for two years so it was time to share the love!



Tilly and the Buttons Mathilde Blouse

My Tilly and the Buttons Mathilde was a hard one to give away. This blouse was a result of a weekend workshop at Ray Stitch taught by Tilly herself not long after her debut on the BBC's Great British Sewing Bee in May 2013. It symbolises my renewed interest into garment sewing after a 20-year hiatus after art college.

Last year I re-fashioned the sleeves to make it more versatile as I did't wear it with the original blouson sleeves. Even that didn't help!

The main reason this lovely little top didn't get worn was again, due to poor fabric selection. The rather heavy-weight cotton just didn't drape and was too heavy for a blouse. A lesson learnt! I really should re-make this top in some lovely light voile or viscose.

I have passed on my me-made garments to the Charity Shop with a hope they may be re-worn or re-cycled into something more useful. Previous me-made rejects blogged about here. To date I have passed on or refashioned 16 me-made garments.

Have you given away or re-fashioned any of your me-made clothes?

9 comments:

  1. Wish I had spied the lovely polyester at the top when we had the fabric swap! :( ha
    You definitely have a good eye for lovely prints! Its a shame to let go but I think I will need to do this at some point too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy - sorry you didn't spot the abstract fabric! I would recommend going through your hand-made wardrobe and de-stash as I found the experience quite liberating!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure some lucky people will be happy to find these at the charity shop! I've not given many me mades to charity yet, but the few that I have were also down to the fabric choice not being right for how I like to wear the garment. Although I did manage to salvage one of my early makes by using it as a pyjama top :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I am getting better at selecting appropriate fabric but I'm sure there will be more rejects in the future! We are always learning.

      Delete
  3. Great idea to give those garments a last goddbye on the blog, reading really was fun! I'm sure you're garments will find a new home soon. Like always I adore the fabrics you used for these projects, you really have a hand for picking fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. It's true - I do love a good print fabric!

      Delete
  4. This is a nice way to say goodbye to your makes! I have given quite a lot of me-mades to the charity shops over the years, or cut them up for other projects. Usually due to poor fabric/pattern matching. I'd like to think I'm getting better at that but still have times where I make something then think, what was I thinking?! That Matisse skirt you made was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn. Glad to hear I'm not alone here!

      Delete
  5. You do get less sentimental as you make more. I must say I have similar feelings about by Mathilde but I keep it because I made it out of some beautiful thrifted Liberty Lawn. I did take some out of the sleeve shape when I made it but the yoke line on the front sits funny on me! It is good to move things on and make room for more sewing projects. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete