Friday, 22 July 2016

Stash-Busting Patchwork Cushions

I was inspired to make my friend Charlotte a present for her flat when I saw her colourful bookcase. I also spotted this rather awesome mural on Carnaby Street which reminded me of patchwork. The two ideas merged into a fun stash-busting and selfless sewing project in the form of quilted patchwork cushions!


I had some charm packs of patchwork squares left over from when I made my friends Nik and Cheryl a purple and green baby quilt  and luckily the colours remaining were natural, orange, olive, coral and yellow which worked out perfectly.

I arranged the patchwork squares until I was happy with the composition then quickly sewed them together. It was at this point I realised I wanted to add an extra level of texture in the form of quilting. With good stash-busting karma I was very happy to have just enough quilting wadding left for the two cushions!


On one cushion I quilted a series of L shaped lines creating a cross effect on the front of the cushion whereas on the second I free-quilted parallel lines.

I am pretty happy with both cushions and I hope that my friend enjoys her present. I really enjoyed the time spent making these gifts and I think they will be very comfy additions to Charlotte's sofa!

10 comments:

  1. Cool, I love a bit of stashbusting, so good for the soul (and purse) Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Yes stash-busting is definitely good for the soul, especially when you are gifting the make as well. A double-whammy of good feelings all round!

      Delete
  2. These look great, hope your friend is very happy with them! I'm curious what colour thread you used for the quilting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex. Thanks I chose a golden yellow thread as it's Charlotte favourite colour.

      Delete
  3. Love stash builders and could use up all your 'bits' for this idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a great little stash-busting project!

      Delete
  4. Good stash busting karma was with you as you were making an awesome gift for a friend! I love the quilting detail you added. Lucky Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Luckily Charlotte really loves them! Good karma all round x

      Delete
  5. Great destashing, and what a lovely present to receive:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicky. I had lots of fun making them so it really was a lovely project and de-stashed some hoards of fabric and quilting wadding too!

      Delete