The obvious choice would be to make a t-shirt or long-sleeved tee.
I had one metre of lovely charcoal grey four-way stretch knit fabric in my stash - one of the lovely Girl Charlee UK knits I won in the raffle at Sew Brum in October 2015.
After completing the analysis of MMM2016 I realised I have a LOT of me-made tops which got me to thinking.... could I squeeze a Colette Moneta dress out of one metre of fabric?
The answer is yes!
Yes, if you don't line it or add pockets and forget the sleeves too!
It was a very satisfying quick make and I really wish I had made one last year when I bought the pattern. The softly gathered skirt looks really flattering and the bodice is a lovely fit.
I made a few amendments. I had to add a patchwork slither to the skirt side seams on the back due to fabric limitations. I cut a size small as my waist and hips fitted into this size but ended up adjusting the bodice to probably what is now a size x small. I also lengthened the skirt by about 4cm.
I used a Prym elastic rather than the suggested clear elastic (mostly because I had it in my stash) and sewed it together with a regular foot, a stretch needle, stitch length 2.5cm, width 1cm.
It is currently un-hemmed at the neckline, arms and skirt which I love. Part of me thinks I will totally wreck this when I try to twin-needle the hem or try to sew it with a small zig-zag so I am just going to rock the unfinished look in a fashionable de-constructed meant-to-be way.
I am definitely going to make more of these!
Here are some poor quality selfies of me wearing my new dress. I will get better photos when the weather improves.
Pattern: Colette Moneta = £13.50
Fabric: Girl Charlee UK Charcoal knit = free (won in the SewBrum raffle)
Gutterman Thread: Grey from stash
Elastic: Prym extra soft elastic from stash
Total = £13.50