Thursday, 18 June 2015

Re-cycling sketchbooks

I tend not to talk about my day job very much on this blog but I thought I would make an exception today. I have been an art teacher for about 17 years and at the end of every academic year I have a good old clean up and general sort out.

Every year I come across old sketchbooks that have been abandoned by ex-students who have left. Any keen students ALWAYS come back to collect their work, but there are a bunch of 'em who are really not that bothered.

In a bid not to waste paper I have regularly recycled sketchbooks by ripping out the few pages that have been used. You are then left with a pretty decent 'pre-used' sketchbook ready for action. I often give these 'new' books to keen students who want to do some extra art in their own time.

On the 1st July my school is hosting a Creative Arts evening which will showcase art, drama and music. I had an idea to sell these sketchbooks with original hand-painted covers to raise some money for charity and the art department.

They are quality Seawhite sketchbooks with brown cartridge paper inside. The front covers were painted after work today by yours truly using acrylic paint, sgraffito techniques and simple print-making.

What do you think? Am I wasting my time or should I make some more? How much should I charge?






10 comments:

  1. These are fabulous. Wow you are so talented. Due to a timetabling error I taught one of my English groups in an Art room for a year. It was my favourite time. I'd soak up all the activities my friend was teaching. loved it. Re price for these beauties I am not sure, but I guess it's got to be affordable if its kids that are the likely to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise.
      Yes, art can be a very fun lesson to teach (90% of the time)!!

      Delete
  2. Make some more! :) They look great! :) I would like something like that hanging on my wall! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Katharina. I took your advice and made about 4 more today. I haven't got any of these quality sketchbooks left now anyway so will have to wait until next year for more recycling!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, these look fantastic! Much more inspiring than a regular sketch book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex. They were definitely fun to decorate. A nice way to while away an hour after work x

      Delete
  4. Fabulous idea. If I was selling them at a school event I think I would try for £4-£5. Cheap labour on your part but If the idea is to raise funds, where else can you buy quality sketch books for that money?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks x I think you are probably right with the £4 - £5 price point as a lot of students will be there (and hopefully some parents with their wallets).

      Delete
  5. They retail for £9......
    Lovely books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. Yes they are very good quality sketchbooks - with a few pages missing so I guess £4-£5 would be a good price considering.

      Delete