Sunday, 7 June 2015

Charity Shop Re-fashion

In the lead up to Me-May-May I made a concerted effort to finish off a few simple projects that have been whizzing around my head for some time. Not a total hand-made garment more a series of changes and modifications to existing RTW clothes that I wanted to re-fashion.

 A friend gave me this beautiful hand-made silk dress that she bought from a charity shop in Putney. I loved the abstract print and the pretty colours but the length of the dress was VERY short so it sat in the back of my wardrobe never worn. I decided it would be worth chopping off a section and turning it into a top. I top-stitched a deep double hem to stabilize it and give it a bit of weight. I never got around to wearing it during May but on it's first outing last week the zip at the back of the top broke half-way through the day! Luckily I had a cardigan. Needless to say it is now zipless!

The original beautiful (crumpled) silk dress. Very short though! 
New top after chopping off about 40cm.
Top-stitched and ironed. So much better now!
I bought this bold and beautiful Monsoon maxi-skirt from Oxfam in Putney a few summers ago and it has sat in a bag for years. The length of the skirt didn't quite fall at a very flattering point for a maxi so I decided to give it a chop too! The fabric is a very soft lightweight cotton and was difficult to create a perfect hemline because the flared panels of the skirt. It's not too bad but probably not my finest hemming.

Original Monsoon maxi skirt with flared panels and white cotton lining
The finished skirt is a much more wearable length!
Two lots of hems!
Have you modified any existing clothing to give them a new lease of life?

8 comments:

  1. I haven't done this for a while, very inspiring. The fabric for both of these refashions are lovely. My local charity shops often have rather poor fare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I was glad to have done the modifications as I said in the post they just weren't getting worn in their original state. If they don't get much wear this summer then I will pass them onto another charity shop.

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to do some refashions for a while so hoping your good work will help inspire me! :) I agree the fabric for both of these is lovely, hope you get lots of wear out of them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get around to doing your re-fashioning because I'm looking forward to what you make / re-style.

      Delete
  3. What great remakes! I especially love the Monsoon skirt. Last week I made a maxi skirt from an East dress given to me by a friend. It didn't long but the result is great and I know that I'll wear it a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. I am looking forward to seeing your East 'skirt' when you blog about it. Your Me-Made-May outfits were great!

      Delete
  4. Your refashions are really inspiring! I love finding great prints thrift store garments that are totally worth salvaging :)

    ReplyDelete