Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Warhol Dolores Pocket skirt

I spotted this awesome skirt at the vintage market in Camden Passage in Islington on my walk home from work last Wednesday. I knew I wouldn't be able to wear it as it was (the waist size was 24") but I knew it could be re-fashioned into something else because the fabric is fantastic. And a bargain for only £12.
It didn't take me long to decide it would be *another* Dolores Pocket skirt. This will be my fourth version of this pattern - you can see my other versions here, here and here!

It started off as a simple gathered skirt with a single button waistband and small zip. I think it is a late 1960's / early 1970's skirt judging by the print (let's be honest here it could be 1980's too!).
It was all hand-sewn and had a metal zip; which leads me to think it could more '60's or '70's rather than '80's!


I un-picked the hand-stitches and ironed out the creases on Thursday early evening and had cut out the Dolores Pocket skirt number four by the end of the night.
I assembled the skirt on Saturday morning without needing to refer to the instructions (did I mention I had made this pattern before?!). Things went together smoothly and here is the finished item:


I have called it the Warhol Dolores Pocket skirt as the bold, colourful flowers remind me of the bright floral prints of Andy Warhol circa 1960.


Have you re-used fabric to create a new garment or up-cycled an existing piece of clothing?
Also, does this count for a Vintage Sewing Pledge because I have used vintage fabric?

6 comments:

  1. What a nice story behind your beautiful dress! I would love it if in 30 years someone buys something of my old hand sewn garments and makes something so beautiful out of it! :) In my opinion this does count for a Vintage Sewing Pledge, I mean you really sewed vintage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks x
      It's a lovely thought thinking our clothes may be re-used / re-fashioned by others in the future x

      Delete
  2. Well done. I have done this a few times, its really satisfying.breathing new life into an old garment.its a fabulous print, enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise it was a fun task and I still have enough fabric to make a top too!

      Delete
  3. Great find and what a fun skirt you've made! I've got a few clothes I've kept back from going to the charity shop with the intention of up-cycling them, but inspiration hasn't quite hit yet so I'm impressed with your quick turn around on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Get those unwanted things up-cycled. I am looking forward to seeing what you make out of them. I can't quite believe I managed the turn around so fast either! I was in the zone!

      Delete