Monday, 23 March 2015

Lucienne Day Dolores Pocket Skirt #3

Recently I have been a bit under the weather and feeling not totally on the planet. I thought a bit of creativity might make me feel a little bit more human.

Enter my third incarnation of the Dolores Pocket Skirt by Ready Ruthie. I volunteered to be a pattern tester last summer and found the pattern fitted me really well. I think the great fit has to do with the shaped waistband. It doesn't seem to be available commercially yet, but when it does I would highly recommend it.

My two previous versions are blogged about here and here. I was going to make another one straight away and cut out a third but never got around to sewing it together so onto my UFO pile it stayed until the weekend.

Onto the lovely blue printed fabric. It is a limited edition re-run of a Lucienne Day print to celebrate 150 years of the John Lewis department store (it also came in a brown / tan colour-way too).


Nothing new to report in terms of the construction, it went together quite quickly in just under three hours (without cutting out the fabric or pattern) and I was very happy with my top-stitching which was very satisfying to do!

Onto the photos:



Top-stitching galore
More top-stitching on the pocket and a fairly reasonable attempt at stitching-in-the-ditch
I used some left-over cotton for the waistband facing and hem-facing 
Happy to be feeling almost back to normal - the magic of sewing as a healing power!


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful job - and I love the facings too. Hope you're back to storming good health very soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare - feeling better - almost back to normal.

      Delete
  2. Lovely skirt and well done with all that top stitching! I've not tried a hem facing yet, but I like the look of it here :)
    Glad to hear you are feeling better, hope you are back to normal soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is something quite nice about getting creative whilst still wearing PJ's....
      This pattern is the first skirt I have tried that has a hem facing and it works very well - it gives the skirt a lot more stability and weight - although it's a bit tricky to sew in for the first time.

      Delete
  3. This is a great skirt, going to check out your other versions too now. Fabulous fabric choice though. Enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise.
      I really love the fabric too and I have a decent bit left over so might be able to squeeze something else out of it..... just need to decide what now x

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely! I really like the shape of the waistband and the details with the hem. Hope the skirt did the trick. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet - the waistband is a very lovely fit - no gaping at the back and it is more comfortable than my Colette Ginger high waisted skirt (which after a good lunch tends to dig in a bit uncomfortably). So a big high five for shaped waistbands!!

      Delete