Sunday, 15 March 2015

1960's Coat Completed

Yeah, I've made my first ever coat!
Ok, so it has only taken me since the start of November 2014 to complete this beauty and was beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be ready until November 2015.
To re-capp, this is the 1960's coat from Sew Over It. I attended the workshops at the Clapham store and was taught by the lovely Julie Johnston who breaks down the coat construction into manageable steps. There is quite a bit of homework between classes but it is worth it in the end.

Pattern: Sew Over It 1960's coat
Fabric: Cashmere and wool blend from a shop on Goldhawk Road (£Expensive p/m)

What new things did I learn / do?

  • Fusible facings on wool
  • Clipped collars and shoulders to improve internal structure
  • Internal shoulder pads
  • Fully lined garment


Back to the 1980's - shoulder pad time!
Fushia pink lining

12 comments:

  1. Yay, congratulations! Looks so warm and cosy and fits beautifully! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilla. I am very pleased with the fit.
      I think I have taken the slow fashion movement to an extreme here and almost missed the season - seems to be warming up in London... spring is on its way.

      Delete
  2. I love it! What a beautiful wool. It looks so smart on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren. I'm glad it turned out OK after the investment of the wool fabric x

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this! Fantastic choice of fabric and lining - I'm most envious of the whole experience! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare. It was a challenge, sometimes frustrating but fun all the same x

      Delete
  4. Wowsers! That is amazing. I almost wish the cold weather would race back to give you longer to wear it (almost). You have done an incredible job. Thanks for showing the insides of it too. Glad you enjoyed the process too because that's what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - knowing this country I'll probably be able to wear it this summer!

      Delete
  5. An awesome coat! Well jell, I love a winter coat, but virtually have no need for one here, never mind more! Now this mammoth job is finished, what's next on the list?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much choice - I think I need to do an audit of my patterns to work out what will be my next make. Although I went on a 'copy your clothes' workshop on Saturday - which I'm yet to blog about - so I might end up trying a wearable muslim from that pattern!

      Delete
  6. Looks great Caroline, well done! Now I know who to ask for help when I finally get around to trying to make a coat myself... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex - yes if I can help in any way with coat making I'll try my best. It was a learning experience for me to have tackled a number of sewing firsts!

      Delete