Sunday, 13 July 2014

More Matisse inspired collages

I bought some fab Japanese Washi tapes from the Tate Modern shop in insanely bright colours that spurred on the next collection of Matisse inspired collages during the Tate workshop on Monday.


I have been abstracting and simplifying the peacock feather motif then moved away from that entirely towards a more linear direction in a fresh new palette of red, yellows, green and black. I used quite a number of the 'left-over' sections of paper to create this new collection of collages; which is something that Matisse did himself to create a wider range of negative images and motifs.


I had made the decision that I would make an item of clothing using my Matisse sketchbook work as inspiration for some applique / embroidery decoration. Last month I volunteered to pattern test the Dolores Pocket Skirt by Beth from Ready Ruthie. I am going to share the full write up next week because I need to send Beth my comments and findings by the 20th July, so you will only be able to see some sneaky peaks at the work-in-progress and the collage that partly inspired the design is top left of the photo montage below.

The added bonus to this current skirt is that its made entirely from stash fabrics including all the coloured appliqued sections too!

4 comments:

  1. Ooo, interesting new direction with the collages. What a great idea to expand this work to a different medium, excited to see the final result of the applique - you will have such a cool and unique skirt! And what a fab way to use up some of those smaller stash pieces. I've not tried applique yet, but this is definitely inspiring me to give it a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex.
      Yes, applique is a great way to use up scraps in the stash - you should definitely have a go yourself ; )

      Delete
  2. These are really cool. Matisse is one of my favorite artists! I recently saw an Expressionist exhibit at LACMA (in LA) and it had some nice Matisse pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. Matisse is up there with in my top ten favourite artists too. The Matisse Cut-Outs exhibition is over-whelmingly great. Such fantastic colour and collage!

      Delete