Thursday, 29 May 2014

Sew Over Tulips

I had already made a conscious decision earlier in the year to take part in Me-Made May and realised the limitations of my me-made wardrobe so I booked myself onto a two-part Tulip Skirt workshop at Sew Over It.


Because of quite extensive house renovations at the moment I haven't really got anywhere that is a) dust free or b) any available space to plug in my sewing machine.
After a hard day pulling down a wall and generally being as dusty as anything I was so glad to venture into Sew Over It a delightful crafty mecca of awesome proportions.

We were skillfuly guided by our tutor Julie, who was an experienced sewer who has worked in theatrical costume. She was an absolute superstar. There were three other lovely ladies taking part in the workshop, Carla from NZ, Jo from Cumbria (a fellow blogger) and another lady whose name escapes me (will have to find out next week). The atmoshpere was great and Julie provided us with regular tea and cake - always good in my book!

I am really looking forward to part two of the workshop next week. Here is a sneak peak of the Tulip skirt in progress. I decided that if I was going to spend the time making one skirt I may as well buy some more fabric and cut out a second colour version as well!


We have homework for next week which is to sew up the lining, bond the interfacing onto the waistband and attach the waistband! Something I will need to squeeze in this weekend ; )

6 comments:

  1. Love tulip skirts - can't wait to see the finished articles. How many weeks is your course? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire - its only a two-part course (2 x 3 hours). I managed to pretty much cut out one blue outer shell plus lining and the green outer sheel, sew up the darts and front pleats on the blue shell and lining. Not bad going for 3 hours work ; ) It really helps that there are big tables to lay-out the fabric and somebody else is making and bringing cups of steaming hot tea to your sewing machine side!! How cool is that? You never get that service at home.
    So in two evening sessions I will have boosted my me-made wardrobe by x 2 skirts (excluding homework).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to take part in one of their courses! I actually spent ages one evening pouring over their calendar to check out some summer options but couldn't make it work. I love the colours you've chosen for your skirts! Did you buy the fabric there too? Looking forward to the end result :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I bought the fabric when I popped back home to Leeds earlier in the year. The fabric in Leeds even at the regular fabric shops as apposed to the market (mega cheap) is lots cheaper than the nearest fabric shops to where I live in London. The infamous Goldhawk Road involves a special trip which sometimes is not always possible. Let me know if you do make it over for a Sew-Over-It course and I'll join you ; )

      Delete
  4. Look forward to seeing your finished skirts! Love the colours you've chosen, if you have fabric left over they might make a fun colour block piece. I live not far from Goldhawk Road, so if you do make it over this way let me know and we could meet up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex - its so cool that you live near Goldhawk Road. I'd definitely be up for a fabric splurge once my current stash has shrunk a bit more. I am tempted by the Lucienne Day prints in John Lewis too...

      Delete