Friday, 23 May 2014

Total Pollocks tee tutorial

Jackson Pollock - Autumn Rhythmn, 1950
I've always loved the work of Jackson Pollock, so when I saw these rather fab t-shirts in Uniqlo who are doing a Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) NYC collaboration I was inspired.

The Pollock t-shirt design I liked the best was in the men's collection and having tried the smallest size (way too big) figured I would have to make my own version instead.

It's much more fun this way!
Uniqlo MOMA Jackson Pollock Men's t-shirt £12.50
What do you need?

  • Cotton / cotton blend t-shirt
  • Fabric paint
  • Newspaper
  • large plastic bag / sheeting
  • Paintbrushes / toothbrush
  • Iron


I used a range of brushes to create the effects you see on my finished t-shirt. The smaller brushes create a more even splatter; whereas the large brushes can carry a decent amount of paint and you can get the more heavy splash effects with them.

Depending on the consistency of the fabric paint you use, I found the best effect was achieved by making a quite fluid paint by adding water to achieve a 50/50 solution. I used berol fabric paint. 


To vary the types of paint texture I used a small paint brush for the medium splatts, a toothbrush brushed against a scrap of plastic / card to create the very tiny spray and the large paintbrush for the heavy splats. I also used the small paint brush to free-style the larger blocks of paint - which had the added benefit of using up some of the large blobs of fabric paint.

I left the t-shirt out in the sun to dry and then ironed it as per the fabric paint instructions to fix the dye into the t-shirt. So, there you have it - the Pollock tee.


Give it a go - it is liberating!

12 comments:

  1. This looks like a lot of fun! :) The end result is brilliant, what a really effective technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's lots of fun ; ) Although I washed my t-shirt today and despite ironing the fabric paint (a lot) to fix it - my lovely white t-shirt is now a rather sad chewing gum grey. Maybe I should add some coloured fabric paint to layer up the design to be even denser more like Pollocks work... who knows?

      Delete
  2. Ooo, this looks a lot of fun! I'd like to give fabric paints a try and really like the effect you got here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alex. Yes lots of fun was had here. If you have a back garden do it on a sunny day (if even possible) due to the paint splat factor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo this looks amazing! How long does it take for the fabric paint to dry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo - it doesn't take too long for fabric paint to dry - you could speed up the process by hairdryer-ing it! It was a really sunny day on the day I made the tee so I just laid it out in the sunshine to dry.
    It does depend on how thick a layer of paint you put on the fabric - the less thick areas dried in a matter of minutes whereas the larger splodges took an hour or more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! We obviously have similar influences. So good to find a new blog to read x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mailla! I thought the same thing when I found your blog too - I've added yours to my blogroll ; )

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Cheers Carolee - it certainly was fun to make!

      Delete
  8. That's brilliant, such a fun idea.
    I always think of the film Mona Lisa's smile when I see Jackson Pollock, didn't they go to see one on a class trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they did! It was a lot of fun to make x

      Delete